Every adult will begin to notice the signs of aging at some point and wonder what they can do to slow down time. Anti-aging treatments can be effective, non-invasive options for adults in many stages of life. Signs of aging will begin to show for many in their 20’s and 30’s, and there is no need to wait to start tackling these issues to fight for a more youthful, fresh-faced glow. Skin care doctors in Grosse Pointe will be able to help explain all of the options and which might be right for a person’s specific goals.
Recognize the Signs of Facial Aging
Some noticeable things that may occur over time include:
- Greater visibility of bony landmarks, lines, and wrinkles
- Prominence of transverse forehead link
- Nasolabial folds become more prominent
- Hollowing of the mid-face (sagging skin)
- Changes in the area around the mouth (vertical wrinkles, lip thinning and flattening)
- Development of pre-jowl depression (marionette lines)
Older adults will notice changes such as thinner skin, drier skin, less elasticity, more wrinkling, and more sagging. Collagen loss is a key factor in the aging process that causes changes to the skin. The middle layer of the skin will thin due to collagen loss and the skin will have a harder time retaining elasticity and moisture.
Beyond having supple, elastic skin, it is important to have the right amount of facial fat in the right places to look younger. Aging leads to a redistribution, accumulation, and atrophy of fat. Often, the forehead and cheeks will lose fat while the mouth and jaw gain fat.
The craniofacial skeleton will also age, and this loss of structural support will contribute to noticeable changes.
How Cosmetic Dermatology Can Repair, Improve, & Renew Skin
Cosmetic Dermatology is the practice of repairing, improving, and renewing the skin through various products, technologies, and procedures. A properly-trained physician will be able to provide preventative and/or corrective services to tackle fine lines, wrinkles, volume loss, discoloration, and scarring.
There are a variety of non-surgical, minimally-invasive procedure options to give the best results and help adults achieve their personal best for personal and professional success. Each option offers its own set of benefits and can be broken down into three categories: resurfacing, injectables, and energy-based device therapies.
Anti-Aging Procedures – Resurfacing Options
Resurfacing techniques are one category often recommended by specialists in Cosmetic Dermatology in Sterling Heights to modify the surface of the skin. Common techniques include fractional laser, chemical peels, microneedling, and skincare products. These can help correct fine lines, irregular pigmentation, and blemishes.
Anti-Aging Procedures – Injectables
Injectables include a range of substances administered via injection for the treatment of lines, wrinkles, folds, hollowing, and volume loss.
Some of the most common injectables are described below. Selection and results depend on age, category, and the substance being injected.
Many will end up seeking Botox in Detroit to reverse the signs of aging. Botulinum toxin is injected directly into the muscle to weaken muscles and minimize dynamic lines. Common locations for this type of treatment include frown lines, crows’ feet, and forehead lines.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment is a very popular option. The benefits of this injectable include a quick treatment, no anesthetic, and immediate recovery allowing patients to return to work or resume normal daily activities.
- Dysport® is an FDA-approved injection treatment similar to BOTOX® Cosmetic. It also reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by relaxing facial muscles on the forehead, but can diffuse muscles deeper than Botox to allow for greater results with a single injection.
Traditional fillers are soft substances, liquids, or gels that are injected into the skin to replace lost fat. They improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, fill out hollowed cheeks, plump lips, and repair other imperfections. The right filler will depend on a person’s treatment goals.
- Sculptra® Aesthetic is an advanced injectable facial filler option. It is used to restore lost volume in the skin, providing a sort of “liquid facelift.” The major benefits of this option include a minimally-invasive treatment and natural-looking results that can last two to five years.
- Restylane® replenishes lost volume in the skin to restore youthful contours. Restylane Lyft® is a good option for those looking to regain more structure to the cheeks without surgery. This injectable hyaluronic acid gel is the first and only FDA-approved filler that provides fullness to cheeks and adds volume to correct and smooth smile lines. Results of both are immediate and long-lasting.
- Restylane® Silk is a newer filler focused on providing subtle lip enhancements and smoothing wrinkles and lines around the mouth. It is available for patients over 21 years of age.
- Radiesse® is an FDA-approved filler focused on reducing moderate to severe wrinkles, folds, and creases around the mouth and nose. It augments the skin’s natural collagen supply, offering an alternative to injectable collagen and other fillers. This treatment is safe, effective, and long-lasting.
- JUVÉDERM® Injectable Gel can provide a younger, refreshed appearance by restoring volume to the skin while smoothing facial wrinkles and folds. The treatment produces immediate, natural-looking results without detracting from the natural features of a person. JUVÉDERM® ULTRA™ XC and ULTRA PLUS™ XC are product options that target the mouth and nose area. JUVÉDERM VOLUMA®XC is an injectable gel that adds volume to the cheek area in adults over the age of 21.
- KYBELLA™ can improve the appearance of moderate to severe fat below the chin in adults. A major benefit of this treatment is that patients will not need additional injections once they reach their desired aesthetic goal.
Anti-Aging Procedures – Energy Based Device Therapies
There are various non-invasive treatments using machines that can counteract the effects of time and gravity on the skin. A popular option in this category is Ultherapy. This is a safe, non-surgical treatment using ultrasound. Using the body’s own regenerative response, it can lift skin on the eyebrow, under the chin, and on the neck. It can also smooth lines and wrinkles on the décolletage.
To find out the best combination of anti-aging skincare treatments and procedures, it is best to talk to an experienced Cosmetic Dermatologist in Sterling Heights.