Often, it is the skin that first shows signs of aging. As people age it is common for them to want to slow down the progression of wrinkles and sagging skin. Skin can prematurely wrinkle and become discolored due to many factors; from lack of sleep to too much sun exposure and more. As dermatologists we can help you discover the causes of wrinkles and offer treatments for reducing them as you age.
What Causes Wrinkles?
Skin is a living tissue that starts out flexible and elastic. As the production of collagen and elastin fibers slows with age, the skin has a harder time returning to its original form. Heredity plays a significant role in how we age. Certain activities and environmental factors can increase the speed at which that connective tissue in the skin breaks down. Some of the main factors that cause premature wrinkles include:
• Exposure to UV (ultra violet) light – both natural and tanning beds
• Repeated facial expressions
• A lack of sleep and favoring sleeping on our face
Preventing Early Wrinkles
There are a number of things a person can do to reduce early facial wrinkles. It is possible to look younger; sometimes appearing nearly a decade or more, younger than your chronological age. Preventative measures most commonly include:
• Drink more water – Water keeps the body hydrated and allows the skin to get the moisture it needs.
• Wear sunscreen – Repeated UV exposure is dangerous, due to the increased risk of skin cancer, and will cause premature wrinkling and a breakdown of our collagen. Wearing sunscreen daily can help prevent this.
• Adequate sleep – A lack of sleep can cause the body to produce excess cortisol that break down skin cells. The right amount of sleep will help the body create human growth hormone (HGH) to keep the skin thick and elastic.
• Cosmetic treatments – Adding collagen and fillers to the skin can allow it to stay suppler and retain a fuller appearance, despite natural aging. Cosmetic dermatology in Sterling Heights offer chemical peels, micro needling, specialized skincare products, injectables and fillers, Ultherapy and more to help combat wrinkling.