While many of us associate acne with the teenagers, the truth is millions of adults suffer from acne long after they leave their teen years behind! Acne can be caused by a variety of factors, from changes in your lifestyle to daily stress and more. No matter your age, acne can be embarrassing. Fortunately, it is also very treatable.
Let’s look at some of the most common treatments for acne.
- Cleansers. Most cases of acne can be treated with a simple, yet effective, skin care regimen. Over-the-counter or prescription cleansers are a crucial component of a good skin care regimen. It’s important to choose a cleanser that is gentle, and does not contain any abrasive beads or scents, so that your skin will not be irritated!
- Topical medications. Topical medications are one of the most effective methods for treating acne. These medications contain specialized drugs that can reduce and eventually help eliminate any visible acne, and kill the bacteria that contributes to the appearance of acne.
- Blu-U light treatments. This is a non-invasive treatment option that uses light therapy to treat patients who have moderate acne. First, a clear solution is applied to the skin which will enable the skin to absorb light, as the patient remains seated in front of the blue light source. Once the skin absorbs the light, the acne will gradually be killed. This treatment is an effective alternative for patients who have been unresponsive to traditional acne treatments.
- Chemical peels. These peels are designed to remove scarring left over from acne, and work to exfoliate skin and remove any dead skin cells. These peels are gentle, and will leave the skin looking thoroughly cleaned and without any scars from acne outbreaks.
- Photodynamic therapy. Like Blu-U, photodynamic therapy, or “PDT”, uses light therapy to treat acne. However, this form of treatment should only be used to treat serious cases of acne. The process begins with a photosynthesizing agent being applied to the skin to make it more susceptible to light. Acne-causing bacteria will then be killed, along with the skin’s overall texture will improve.
Medical Dermatology in Grosse Pointe
To learn more about treatments for acne, contact us today and schedule a consultation. Our offices are located in Grosse Pointe, and you can reach us directly at (313) 886-2600. We look forward to meeting you soon.
This entry was posted on Thursday, May 1st, 2014 at 7:21 pm and is filed under Medical Dermatology, Skin Care. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Comments are closed.