Psoriasis is a chronic skin disorder that impacts millions of men and women. It appears in the form of dry, red patches on the skin of the elbow, scalp, knees, hands, and feet. While the exact cause of psoriasis is unknown, flare-ups of this condition are often linked to stress, alcoholism, or genetics. While there is no cure for psoriasis, there are many treatment options available, including STELARA®.
Top Patient Questions about STELARA®:
- What is STELARA®? STELARA is a prescription medication used in the treatment of moderate to severe psoriasis. It is injected into areas of the body not impacted by psoriasis, such as the thighs or stomach, with a small needle. Unlike other psoriasis medications, STELARA treats the entire immune system, slowing the production of skin cells and reduce inflammation. The injection can be done by a doctor, or even by the patient themselves.
- Does every patient receive the same dosage of STELARA? No. The correct dosage is determined by the doctor, based on the needs of the patient and the severity of their condition. Following the initial injections, patients should receive injections every twelve weeks. It is up to the doctor to determine how long a patient should continue using STELARA.
- What are some side-effects of STELARA? While STELARA is generally safe for most patients, several side-effects may include headaches, upper respiratory infections, joint pain, nausea, and fatigue. Patients using STELARA are also advised not to receive a vaccine, since it can cause complications with the medication.
- Is STELARA right for me? STELARA should only be used by patients who are over the age of 18. Patients who are allergic to any ingredients contained in STELARA, such as sucrose, should not use this medication. Patients who are pregnant, or plan to become pregnant, should also not use STELARA.
- How long will it take to see my results? This varies by patient. For most, psoriasis will become far less visible after 12 weeks of use. Patients who have continually used the product for a year have been able to maintain results.
Psoriasis Treatment in Grosse Pointe
Ready to find out if STELARA® is right for you? Take the first step – contact us today. Our offices are located in Grosse Pointe, and you can reach us directly at (313) 886-2600. We look forward to meeting you!
This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 8th, 2014 at 9:47 pm and is filed under Medical Dermatology, Skin Care. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Comments are closed.