When it comes to cosmetic surgeries, many believe that plastic surgeons are the only surgeons qualified to perform them. However, certain cosmetic surgeries should be performed by a surgeon who has specific expertise and training in the part of the body the surgery concerns. For example, tumescent liposuction may be best performed by a dermatologic surgeon as they are trained to treat any condition or problem concerning the skin. Tumescent liposuction targets the subcutaneous layer of fat that is part of the skin, therefore selecting a dermatologic surgeon for your tumescent liposuction procedure may produce the best results.
The Tumescent Liposuction Technique was Developed by a Dermatologist
- In 1985, Dr. Jeffrey Klein (dermatologist) changed the way liposuction was performed
- Before this, liposuction patients experienced a tremendous amount of blood loss often associated with the need for blood transfusions and lengthy hospitalizations
- The tumescent technique lessens stress on the body: little to no blood loss, and it’s performed under local anesthesia
- Tumescent liposuction has become the “gold standard” in liposuction techniques
- Dr. Balle was directly trained in the technique by Dr. Klein
The Tumescent Liposuction Technique
- Performed under local anesthesia
- Specially formulated injections cause the fatty tissues to be firm and swollen which provides for better control
- Stubborn areas of fat are removed through a thin tube
- Patient can go home the same day as the procedure
Candidates for Tumescent Liposuction
- Candidates should have realistic expectations
- Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure
- Liposuction removes localized areas of fat that does not respond to diet and exercise
- Tumescent liposuction can treat problem areas such as thighs, abdomen, arms, back, hims, neck, buttocks, chest, face, calves and ankles
Expectations and Results of Tumescent Liposuction
- Immediately following the procedure patients may experience some swelling and minor discomfort
- Compression garments must be worn as directed by your surgeon
- After swelling subsides, results are dramatically noticeable
- Patients are often back to their daily routines within a few days
Interested in Tumescent Liposuction? Contact Dr. Balle.
Grosse Pointe Dermatology is the perfect practice for your cosmetic and medical dermatology needs. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Balle today, and we look forward to meeting you. We can be reached at 313-886-2600.